Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Decent News With A Kink

The results are decent. The brain MRI shows no new brain tumors, and the spots on the brain lining are stable. With the exception of one small questionable area, the spine is also stable. All in all, there is no progression, which is as good as we could expect at this point.

This should be such happy news, except there is a kink. Mike feels terrible, and no one knows exactly why. It could be from steroid withdrawal (Mike stopped his steroids), or it could be from damage to some of his cranial nerves (nerves at the base of his skull). If the problem is nerves-related, we will need to look at further treatment options. It is hard to pinpoint, so we have been told. At any rate, Mike cannot eat or drink, and has lost a ton of weight. He is always in pain, nauseous and downright suffering. He looks awful, and feels even worse. It is truly unbearable for him to endure. It is equally unbearable for me to watch.

I just cannot believe this is happening. Mike is no longer the same vibrant, lively, fun and active man he was. This damned disease has knocked him to his knees. Yet, there is nothing I can do but watch. I feel so helpless; I am so angry at the unfairness of it all; and I am overwhelmed by deep sadness. I am doing my best to stay positive and hopeful, but I am having a really tough time. I know Mike feels the same.

We need a miracle, but I’ll save that plea for another day. Right now, I will settle for something (anything) that would just alleviate some of Mike’s symptoms. Thoughts, suggestions, homeopathic remedies, miracle drugs, and even reliable witchcraft are welcome.

Seriously, please keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming. We need and appreciate them.

7 comments:

Carver said...

Dear Liz,

I have been checking back hoping against hope that the news after the scan would be good news. I am so happy that the results from the scan are showing no progression. That is so good to read.

I am so sorry that Mike is feeling so awful and that it's hard for him to eat enough to get stronger. I know from past experiences with family members in that situation how frightening it can be.

You probably already know this but marinol is FDA approved for this specific situation (cancer patients who are unable to eat due to nausea etc from treatments). It might be something to discuss with Mike's doctor if it hasn't been tried yet.

This may not have anything you don't already know but Cancer Consultants has a thorough article about various things to try, including marinol and other meds doctors can prescribe but in addition to that it goes over a host of things. Might be worth a look but I realize Mike's team is probably already advising you on much of this. In case you want to take a look, if you google with cancer consultants weight loss, the link should come up first. I tried to paste the link in but it's so long it doesn't show up in the comment section when I previewed.

Please let me know if I can help find any information for you, email- carv4748@aol.com I started to email you what I found but I thought this would be less intrusive and that you might already have the standard information that I was looking for.

You and Mike remain in my thoughts and prayers, Carver

bess said...

Mike and Liz,
I am so happy the scan results show no progession-- happy news!
On the other hand, I am so sorry that Mike feels so badly and I am sorry that Liz, I am sorry you have to watch him suffer day in and day out. Please know that I think about you two every day and send all of my thoughts, prayers and wishes your way. Please, please, please let me know what I can do for you-
Hang in there and stay positive.
I am here for you both always.
Love,
Bess

Anonymous said...

Mike and Liz,

It's good to hear that nothing new is showing up on the test results. Getting that news must have been a relief.

It's hard to imagine Mike not cracking jokes, laughing and being his usual vibrant self, so I know it must be upsetting to watch him in pain. Our prayers, thoughts, concerns, hopes, etc. are always with you.

Love, Tracey and Ed

Anonymous said...

Liz,
It looks like we're in the same boat. My name is Tammy and my husband Bryce is going through treatment for stage IV melanoma also. I happened across this blog through mpip.org. I am feeling so helpless, panicky and terrified! We have a 6 month-old baby. I'd love to chat sometime.
www.brycedbrown.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi Liz,
This sounds to me and my wife as cortisol issue from the steroid from with drawing the steroids? The team can check his cortisol levels and maybe give Mike a stressor dose of steroids. If he feels better then you "know" it was the steroids. Either way, I will be praying for Mike and your family. I met Mike a few times at Penn State. I know his sister, Donna. We have vast experience with cancer and other diseases my children have. Please feel free to call us at anytime. My wife has a knack for figuring these type of issues out with my kids that are side effect related. Our home number is 315 457-8382 and my cell is 315 378-8658
Take Care & God less,
Pete Curkendall
pcurk@aol.com

molly said...

Liz,
I was soooo happy that the scans showed no progression but I hate it that Mike is suffering so with nausea and not being able to eat or drink. I pray that the doctors will come up with a solution soon to get him out of this misery....and I know you suffer every second with him. You are an inspiration to me as well as Mike!
molly

Miss Melanoma said...

Hi Mike and Liz,
I just wanted to congratulate you on the good news of no progression and that he is feeling stronger after the visit to the er. You guys are a real inspiration, and you're always in my thoughts.

Take care,

Lori