Monday, August 20, 2007

Thirsty!

This Friday night, we made our first, and I hope our last, trip to the emergency room. Mike has been unable to eat or drink for a while now, and on Friday, he looked like a wilted plant that desperately needed water. By the time we got to the ER, Mike could not even stand and needed a wheelchair. A truly sad sight.

The sort of treatment you get in the ER when you utter the words cancer and brain in the same sentence is amazing. While there were people (really sick looking people) waiting for hours to be seen, we got right in and within half an hour, the IV fluids were flowing. After two bags, Mike started feeling a lot better, and even made some smart jokes about my driving on the way home.

Mike is still not well, but slightly better than he was last week. Today, he ate a couple pieces of watermelon, which is a huge feat. We are hoping to move to something a little more substantial over the next few days. Any of you who make good soup or cake (for me), please stop by!

I know you already do, but please send more prayers and positive thoughts our way. This by far has been the toughest thing imaginable, and we really need strength.

4 comments:

Carver said...

Dear Liz,

I am so glad that Mike is doing at least somewhat better. I know the ER trip must have been frightening (not that it's not all scary but dehydration on top of everything else is too much). I hope Mike will continue to be able to eat and drink a little more each day. You are both in my thoughts and prayers, Carver

King (Kathie) said...

Liz,

You and Mike are always in my prayers. I'll send lots of positive thoughts your way, too.

I worked ER for many years and yes, brain and cancer would get you in the treatment area quickly. It's amazing what a bag or two of IV fluids can do.

Take care, Liz. You must be exhausted.

Stay Strong

King (Kathie)

Anonymous said...

You both continue to be in my thoughts and prayers daily. I hope each day gets better and that Mike is soon able to regain some strength. Hang in there!

Godspeed...

Nancy D said...

Dear Liz & Mike,

I am so sorry that you have to go through these tough times. I'm glad that Mike did not have progression but I know you are beside yourself with worry over Mike's health. My prayers are with you and your family.

Nancy D
Stage 3B/NED 35 months
Completed INF 12/05
Celebrex 400 mg/day
Immune Guard, green tea, & turmeric supplements
Vacaville, CA