Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Happy Tears

I finally get to start on a happy note. We got great news today!

Mike had a cat scan of his body (not brain) on Monday, and we met with our favorite doctor to get the results today. I am usually a wreck before we get scan results, and Mike is usually calm. Today, there was a complete role reversal. Mike was nervous, sweating, and I really thought he was on the verge of passing out in the waiting room.

After fifteen agonizing minutes of waiting, Dr. Flaherty came over and handed me the written report, and told me to read it. He has never done that before. I said “you tell me” and he replied “it’s good.” I wanted to jump up and kiss the good doctor!

Basically, all the major organs are clear. The suspicious spots on the lungs that showed up on the last scans are gone. There are no new tumors anywhere. And here is the kicker: all the existing cancerous/enlarged lymph nodes deep in the abdomen and chest are shrinking on their own! It appears that Mike’s body is having a spontaneous immune response and is fighting the Melanoma on its own. We could not have hoped for anything better than this. We are thrilled. No, absolutely ecstatic. In fact, we cried for a whole hour after the appointment. But for the first time in almost a year, they were happy tears.

Mike and I always say that Melanoma is like a football game. One minute your team is down by a touchdown, the next minute your defense gets an interception and you are back in the game. Even underdogs win big games. We can too. This fight is far from over, but for now, Mike and I will celebrate just being back in the game!

Please know that your love, support, encouragement and prayers mean the world. Finally, I cannot end this post without thanking my mom and sister for all that they have done over the last few months. From showing up at my house unsolicited a bunch of times each week with cooked food, groceries, and even presents like clothes and shoes, to comforting me countless nights, they have done it all. I am so lucky to have such selfless role models.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are both an inspiration! My husband is fighting the melanoma battle right now too and reading your story has really brougt us optomism. Thanks for sharing. My best to you both. I will keep you in my prayers.

King (Kathie) said...

Liz,

Jumping for joy with this latest news! You guys needed this break! May it be the beginning of your "new normal" which isn't sooo bad.

I'm very happy reading this positive entry.

Stay Strong

King (Kathie)
Stage IV 7.05 Liver mets

Carver said...

Dear Liz,

I am so happy to read your blog today as I was to read your MPIP post. I can imagine how you and Mike are feeling. Wonderful, wonderful, news. I am also glad that you have a lot of family support. That makes such a difference.

As ever, Carver

Anonymous said...

MIKE AND LIZ,

This is awesome news! You have both been on my mind and I was praying that you would have encouraging news soon. Keep fighting Mike!

Donna, Sheldon and Justin Smith

Anonymous said...

Liz and Mike,
What wonderful news!!!! You are both in our prayers every night. By reading all of this, we can see how strong you are.....strong enough to win that game!!!!!!
With love,
Jeff and Dee

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!Awesome news... I am so happy for you guys. Way to fight that beast Mikey. bigrenay

Anonymous said...

FINALLY! Fingers remain crossed. We love you guys! A&F

Anonymous said...

You are one lucky girl to have such a great sister. Good for you :)


Love ya both,
Me

Anonymous said...

This is truly wonderful, fantastic news! We love you both dearly and news like this makes our hearts swell.

Love,
Ed and Tracey