Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Missing Normal


Here is the cold truth. Not sugar-coated. Not downplayed like I normally do. Not wrapped in optimism. Mike feels awful. Absolutely awful. This is the worst he has felt since this ordeal started. He feels worse than he did during chemo or after his surgeries. He is just not himself, even though he tries really hard to be. He is also tired. Tired of always feeling sick. Tired of having to lay around all the time. Tired of being betrayed by his own body. Tired of not knowing what the future holds. Tired of all the drugs, all the tests and all the procedures. Quite frankly, so am I.

Mike was actually starting to feel a lot better over the last two weeks, but then came along the Gamma Knife procedure. Gamma Knife is usually a somewhat painless procedure that does not have many side effects. For most patients, that is. For Mike, it has been a whole different story.

The procedure itself was not that bad. They started off by screwing—yes, literally screwing—a metal frame into Mike’s skull. Believe me, it looked as painful as it sounds. When I walked in and saw the screws drilled into Mike’s head, I nearly passed out. Thanks to the Gamma Knife nurse, we have a lovely picture to memorialize the event. In the interest of sharing, Mike gave me permission to post the picture here.

After he got the metal frame drilled into his head, Mike underwent an MRI, which has twice the resolution of normal MRI machines. The MRI identified two lesions on the brain. One we knew about, and one we didn’t. Both lesions were treated with Gamma Knife. The whole process lasted about five hours, and since we got to the hospital before 6 a.m., we were home and Mike was sleep by 11:30.

The day after Gamma Knife, Mike’s pain started. Headaches accompanied by bouts of nausea, weakness and confusion. Mike could not eat or drink, which no doubt exacerbated the whole situation. Since we were not told that this sort of pain was possible, and my best friend, the internet, did not have any answers, we were in a state of panic. Lucky for us, it was the holiday weekend, and getting hold of a doctor was as impossible as the Phillies winning the World Series under Charlie Manuel. So Mike spent the weekend in bed, and I spent the weekend hysterical.

Thankfully, without me even asking, my mom and aunt dropped their weekend travel plans and came over a bunch of times to keep me company, bring groceries and cook lots of food and clean since I had no energy for such activities, and most of all, give me much needed hugs and love. I would have been dead without them (Thank You!)

On Tuesday, we finally got to talk to the doctors and learned that a small percentage of patients do actually experience a lot of pain after Gamma Knife. Would have been nice if they told us this sooner! Plus, apparently, the delayed side effects of the brain radiation are now kicking in too, which is making matters worse. Anyway, the docs increased Mike’s steroids, and he is starting to feel better.

I don’t want to complain or rant about how hard this is. It is obvious. I doubt that I even have the words to accurately express how it feels. It has all really sunk in--our life is forever changed. It will never be the same. Never. I miss the days when life was effortless. When we could do anything and everything we wanted on a whim. When Mike felt good for more than ten minutes at a time. When we laughed all the time. When life was normal. Those days now seem so out of reach. We long for those days. We dream, pray and wish for those days. And almost every night, for just a brief moment, we let ourselves get lost in the slim possibility that those days will be back. That life will once again be normal.

14 comments:

brianp said...

PONE / LIZ I think of you each & every day. I yearn to hear or read good news & pray you are continuing to fight like warrior you are! Nikola & I are only a few miles away so please remember that if we can be there for you in any way. Love-
Brian & Nikola
Staabagan- agan

King (Kathie) said...

Liz,

I am so sorry to read the latest on you and Mike. I appreciate your honesty. You two must be just exhausted. Don't give up hope! I pray that some day life will be normal for you - maybe a "new" normal but one that you can enjoy.

Stay Strong (and get lots of hugs)

King (Kathie)
Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry for this misery. You are such a ray of light and compassion and knowledge on mpip; I can't even imagine how you find the strength to type out posts describing treatments that haven't worked for your loved one, in hopes of helping someone else. I hope that you are taking care of yourself physically as much as you can.

Anonymous said...

Liz

I am so sorry to hear that the gamma knife and radiation have made Mike unwell. The upshot may well be that the next scans show the size of the mets decreasing and Mike getting on top of this. I know what a very hard road this is and Mike is amazing for what he has endured (what you both have endured). There just has to be light at the end of this very long tunnel for the both of you.

Thinking of you from across the pond (Oz).

Kristy (Kris on MPIP)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike and Liz,

After speaking with you and reading your blog I am in tears. I know how hard this fight is and how courgeous Mike and you have been. As you say, NEVER GIVE UP HOPE. Please know I am here for you and will be there in a flash... just call. Hang in there and I am sure all of us who know and love you will continue to pray. Sending you both big hugs. Love and Light Carole

Anonymous said...

Liz and Mike, Renay said to read your latest blog. I have the two of you in my thoughts and prayers. What is normal anyways, for you I hope that you get that period of time where there is no pain,
Just lots of laughter and a ray of sunshine! Linda

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see the two of you last night, dam that salad was good (minus the dressing)! I am praying for Mike to feel better (and stop farting)! I know with the combined strength and power of the two of you, you will fight this! All my thoughts and prayers are for you two! Love ya guys.
bigrenay

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, we love you and miss you and continue hoping & praying. We are here if you need us for anything. A&F

Anonymous said...

Liz, I am so sorry that you and Mike are going through all this. Your description of your life sounds all too familiar, and you stated it so well. Unfortunately, there are too many of us who understand totally what you are saying and how you are feeling. I know that doesn't help you cope, but please know there are lots of thoughts and prayers headed your way. About a week before Jaime died, she asked her oncologist if she would ever live a normal life again. He told her "no", and then I asked her to define "normal". She went on to explain that her "normal" life was going to radiation every day, visiting the oncologist every day or two, going for chemo treatment every few weeks, continuing to fight for her life and maybe a few days of feeling well ... not what the doc thought of as normal or what most people would think of as normal, but it was Jaime's "normal" life. So I can relate completely to what you are saying. This is all so hard and so unfair. Hang in there as best you can and don't give up.

Anonymous said...

Liz and Mike-
Please know that I think about you everyday-- you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I am sorry things have been so tough these past few weeks. Please let me know if there is anything I can do-- and I mean anything!
Stay strong--
I love you both,
Bess

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for what your family is going through. I do so hope for a miracle for you guys, and that you'll have happier days ahead.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

melissa

Carver said...

Dear Liz,

I am so sorry to learn about what Mike is going through and you as well. I am so glad that you have had family support. You and Mike are both so young and brave. I admire your courage and honesty. You are both very much in my thoughts and prayers. As ever, Carver

Anonymous said...

Hi, Liz and Mike..

This is "Rob from NC" from MPIP. Just wanted you guys to know I was thinking about you. I have followed Mike's progress via your postings for quite some time now. I'm so sorry you both are having to go through this. I know there are times when you are at the top of your game and ready to take on the world and kick some Mel @ss! Then there are other times when you hit bottom and wonder how you ever got there -- and why a disease like this hits so many good people! Please always know you have friends -- friends that will do anything for you guys. You can e-mail me at rob.rosen@sas.com or if you need to vent and want a verbal punching bag, I will be happy to be on the other end of the phone for you. Whatever I can do to help. I'm just sorry I can't do more :(

I know you are taking wonderful care of Mike. I just hope you have people taking care of you. Mike may have the cancer, but you both suffer from the disease.

Big hugs and go kick some Mel @ss!!
Rob from NC

Anonymous said...

Liz, believe I know what your going through, that doesnt make it easier but I hope it is a little comforting to know you are not alone. I fought this battle with my beloved husband. I'm glad to know that you have family in the area for support, that is important. I pray for only good things for you and Mike and hope that he will start to feel better soon. I'm right outside of Oxford PA about 1.5 hours from Philly if you ever want to talk.
AP in PA on MPIP board
here is my email address paolischarm@yahoo.com