Thursday, September 13, 2007

It's Football Season

Philadelphia Eagles fans are rare creatures. The start of the Eagles season is akin to a national holiday in Philadelphia, and the weekly anticipation for each Sunday’s game is higher than Christmas and your birthday combined. The games are more important than family (unless the family is huddled around the TV together), friends (unless the friends are there to high five and cheer each time the Eagles make a play), and even God (unless prayers for a miraculous win are needed). This past Sunday, I realized that even though he is really sick, Mike does indeed still bleed Eagles green.

Sunday morning, I woke up to Mike’s loud voice: “Lizzy, Lizzy, get up, the Eagles are on in 15 minutes.” I could barely open my eyes; I was tired. Really tired. With one eye open, I looked at the clock. It was 6 am! I told Mike to go back to sleep, and did my best to explain that it was only 6 am and the game would not be on for another 7 hours. Some time went by, and again Mike started yelling: “Lizzy, get up. The Game is on.” I looked at the clock; this time, it was 7:15 am. We repeated this routine every hour until noon when I turned on Fox NFL Sunday for Mike to watch. Within 5 minutes, he fell sound asleep!

Given his recent state of confusion and overall mental disarray, it really was amazing that Mike (a) remembered that it was a Sunday; (b) knew that football season was starting; (c) recalled that the Eagles were playing Green Bay; and (d) was actually excited to watch the game. Mike had not shown any excitement for any activity for a few months, and it was just nice to hear the sheer anticipation in his voice.

Throughout the day, many friends stopped by and “watched” parts of the game with Mike. Mike also slept, or pretended like he was sleeping so we would all stop screaming in his ear, for big chunks of the game. But when the Eagles lost, he was alert and mad. And at the end of the night, just as any true Eagles fan, he complained about the coach, the offense, the special teams, the quarterback, and everything else in between. Never mind that he actually didn't see half of the things he was complaining about. That's how we do it in Philly anyway!

It is now Wed. and Mike is already talking about the upcoming Monday night game. He is also talking non-stop about his fantasy football teams (warning: he assures me that he will win this week). Needless to say, Mike seems to be more alert and oriented, thanks to football season. He is still not good, but very slightly better. Also, on a bright non football-related note, Mike has started eating again, which is a cause for celebration in and of itself (please knock on wood the instant you read this). We have no idea what the days, weeks, and (hopefully) months ahead will bring. But for now, we are hanging in, hanging on, and busy watching football!

10 comments:

Carver said...

Dear Liz,

That was a beautiful post. You brought it totally alive for me. I'm sorry you were awakened but that was too funny that Mike would be such a hard core fan as to wake up thinking about it. I hope you can get some sleep and enjoy the games together and perhaps there will be some wins for Mike. You both are very much in my thoughts and prayers. As ever, Carver

Suzan and Christopher Hallam said...

Dear Liz,
You are both in my prayers. I hope Mike will be able to enjoy all the Eagles season. We actully had an Eagles Ex-player that lived next door to us when I was growing up. Stay strong and God does hear your prayers.

Suzan

Anonymous said...

Liz, I haven't been on this site for a very long time. My brother at the age of 34 passed away from Melanoma 6 years ago. At the time when he was sick, I was on this site all the time. It was my sanity savior for many a "I CANNOT SLEEP AGAIN" nights. After he passed away it was very hard for me to read all of the posts .....although I did try to read acouple of times a year. Today a friend called to tell me that her husband had a mole removed from his back and it's melanoma. I told her to come to this site, it was very helpful when we needed it! I then signed in also. I read your post and it brought me to tears. So many similiarities. My brother was diagnosed and passed away six months and one day later. He also had the brain radiation with the screws in the skull. People don't believe me when I tell them about it. Jeff said it was the worst pain he has ever been in. He also was sick and didn't have any appetite (or should I say no appetite at all- he did have a small appetite before the radition, although it was very small). Your story has brought back many memories and I pray that your husband is feeling up to watching the football games with you. My brother loved football and basketball. We watched many basketball games with him, even when he was sick he would sit and watch the games! Sports and what they do to a man. Maybe make him some of those game day foods that all of these avid football fans love to eat!! I will check back to see your posts and hope that your husband is feeling better. You can e-mail me if you like. I know I had many MPIP friends that helped me and my family thru some tough times. Laura

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that Mike's excitement has returned along with his appetite.

Thank you for your candid posts.

Thinking of you both.

Nikki

JKalnin said...

See ya Tuesday night Liz. Let me know if you want me to bring anything. Here are some pictures of Mike from his college days:

http://johnkalnin.com/college/thumbnails.php?album=1
and
http://johnkalnin.com/college/thumbnails.php?album=1&page=2

Enjoy!

Unknown said...

E-A-G-L-E-S....EAGLES!!!!!!!!

Always, Blue (not to be mistaken for Big Blue)

Anonymous said...

Liz,

I read most of your blog today. I really admire you and Mike. I am praying that Mike feels better soon, and glad to know that the football season is bringing you both some joy.

Best of luck,

Dalia

Anonymous said...

My neice's husband is going through this with MM so I know what you are going through. My heart aches for you and Mike, as well. My prayers are with you. Don't ever give up the fight. God has a plan for each of us and he is very much aware of Mike's illness. Don't ever doubt his (God's) love for you. Hang in there.

Elaine, in Arizona

Anonymous said...

Liz,
I just want to let you know that you and Mike are constanlty in my thoughts.
Consuelo

Anonymous said...

Liz,

As my wife and I sit here reading your blog, we are blown away by the challenges the two of you face every day. We truly admire your will and determination.

We will always keep the two of you and your families in our thoughts and prayers

God Bless
Carl and Becky Mancini